Here are some examples of the negative statements some women tell themselves (and others) about what they don't want.
THINGS I DON'T WANT
- I don't want to wear weaves to have fuller longer hair.
- I don't want to get relaxers.
- I don't want heat damage.
- I don't want to go to scissor happy stylist.
- I don't want people to judge me based on how I wear my hair.
- I don't want to spend a lot of money on products.
- I don't want to blend in with the crowd.
- I don't want to go through an awkward phase.
- I don't want to spend a lot of time doing my hair.
- I don't want split ends.
- I don't want excessive shedding or breakage.
Next, you change those negative statements into positive ones to create a list of things you do want. The idea is to spend very little energy on things that you don't want and to focus more on what you do want. This is a pivotal step in goal-setting.
THINGS I WANT
- I want fuller longer hair.
- I want to rock my natural hair.
- I want to use little to no heat in my regimen.
- I want to retain maximum length.
- I want to use affordable products.
- I want people to admire my hair.
- I want my hair to help me stand out from the crowd.
- I want to have an easy transition.
- I want to spend very little time doing my hair.
- I want healthy ends.
- I want strong, resilient healthy hair.
Review this new list to remind you of your desires. You can even cross out some of the things as you achieve them or even add new things.